> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Contracts > Is modifying a contract without my consent legal

Is modifying a contract without my consent legal

1 Answers. Asked on Oct 10th, 2017 on Contracts - California
More details to this question:
I signed a contract with a program that pays the majority portion of my rent. I agreed to start paying my portion of the rent in November. But the program changed the month to October by using whiteout and made a copy of it to make it seem like it was the original contract and never contacted me to address this change and did not include on the new contract that it had been modified and by doing so I was served a 3 day notice to vacate because of lack of payment. The new contract was made to look like I agreed and signed it. Is this legal if not what can I do about this matter
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:20 AM

No, it is not legal for a party to alter a signed contract and try to make it appear as if the other party had agreed to it.  I am not familiar with California procedure, but basically you need to, as soon as possible, start a proceeding against the forging party and your landlord, and obtain a preliminary injunction to prevent your eviction.  You should probably consult a California attorney.  If you can't afford one, speak to your local legal aid office or bar association.

Report Abuse
Most people and business enter into contracts on almost a daily basis. Simply put, a contract is a legally binding agreement between two parties. One party makes an offer to do something in exchange for "consideration," or payment, and the other party accepts that offer. Contacts can be verbal, in writing or even implied. Some contracts--such as signed credit card receipts--are very simple. Others--such as those used to buy or sell real estate--are far more complicated. If you are entering into a complex transaction, it pays to hire a contract law attorney as early as possible in the process. Your lawyer can help negotiate the terms and conditions of the agreement, then draft the contract or review the contract that has been presented to you. Law firms with experience in contract law can also defend you if you or your company has been accused of breaching a contract, or if you need assistance enforcing a existing contract.
Have an Contracts Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

104 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums